Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dunn Bros Coffee — 3725 Belt Line

On the north side near Marsh Lane.



I've been drinking coffee since I was 12 years old and was taught, in fact required, to drink it black, no sugar. In those days it was Folgers but I've since switched to Community brand. I may change my loyalty. Never have I ever been so impressed with a 12 oz ($1.65) cup of joe. The writing of this review began immediately. On a scale of one to five the aroma alone rates a six. There was no harsh aftertaste. It is rich, bold and just strong enough. I have truely found coffee nirvana. Of course if you require all of those tuity-fruity additives to mask the glorious wonder they will be happy to oblige. In addition to the selection of hot drinks Dunn Bros offers pastries, sandwiches and salads, soft drinks and iced beverages.

The decor is typical coffee house. The music is calming and ethereal. Live music contributes to the ambiance nightly. On this late Sunday morning there were 15-18 inside plus 6-8 sitting at the outside tables. Solo guests were reading sections of the newspaper (provided) or engrossed with a book. One couple was playing backgammon. Three were using the free ("All we ask is that you buy a drink") Wi-Fi. Conversations dominated the others' time. All could easily blend into Austin's SoCo neighborhood.

Those that still gravitate to that other, better known coffee chain do so because they have not discovered Dunn Bros Coffee. For their sake I hope they do.

Hours:
7:00 am - 10:30 pm Mon-Sat
8:00 am - 10:30 pm Sun

Google map is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment